Finding Meaning in Neurosurgery: Voices from the Field
Do you have an inspiring story to share with your fellow neurosurgeons? Submit it for the opportunity to present at the 2022 CNS Annual Meeting in San Francisco. No experience is required—only inspiring stories of finding meaning in neurosurgery from any time in your life!
Professionals from Stellar Story Company, a Boston-based organization, will provide coaching to all tellers. A maximum of five tellers will be selected to share their stories in the CNS Xperience Lounge on Tuesday, October 11 starting at 1:45 pm. Stories may be humorous or dramatic, as long as they are authentic experiences.
Consider the following questions:
- When have you struggled to find meaning in the practice of neurosurgery?
- How did you reconnect with your values?
- When did a patient or colleague surprise you and excite you about working in your profession again?
- When did you have to change your priorities or shift your perspective to find the most meaningfulness at work?
Story Pitch Requirements
- True and first-person narrative that can be told in 6–8 minutes
- A short description of your story (150 words or fewer), including:
- What happens in the story (i.e., the arc—beginning, middle, and end)
- Why it was a memorable experience for you
- The tone of the story (e.g., funny, sad, sarcastic, etc.)
- Submit your pitch by Friday, July 15, 2022
- Participants must register for the Annual Meeting.
If Your Story Is Selected
If your story is selected for the event, you will receive 5-6 hours of individual coaching from Stellar Story Company experts. The coaches will help you focus and edit your story and prepare for delivery. The coaching will be held via telephone or online beginning mid-August, up until the meeting.
Storytellers will be required to send an audio recording of their draft and will receive both written and verbal feedback. Coaches will work around the teller's schedule and coaching can take place during the day, evening, or weekend. Failure to send recordings in a timely manner or participate in the coaching sessions may result in your story being replaced.
Submission deadline: Friday, July 15, 2022
Submit Your Story